What Programs Are Available To Assist People With Disabilities in Washington?

Is there a Medicaid waiver program in Washington? Washington has several waivers including:

  • Children's Intensive In-Home Behavioral Support
  • Washington Mental Health
  • Community Protection Waiver
  • Core Waiver
  • Basic Waiver
  • Basic Plus Waiver
  • MNRW
  • New Freedom
  • Medically Needy In-Home
  • Washington Take Charge
  • Transitional Bridge Demonstration

What state department operates the Medicaid waiver program in Washington? The Developmental Disabilities Administration, operating under Washington State Department of Social and Health Services, operates the waiver program for persons with developmental disabilities.

What programs assist people who have developmental disabilities in Washington? The Developmental Disabilities Administration (DDA) offers four Home and Community Based Services (HCBS) Waivers. These are the Basic Plus Waiver, the Children's Intensive In-home Behavioral Supports (CIIBS) Waiver, the Community Protection Waiver, and the Core Waiver.

What is the best number to call to get started? Call DDA Headquarters at 360-725-3413 to learn more about Medicaid waiver programs for persons with developmental disabilities.

Is there a website?

Who Qualifies For Assistance?

What is considered a developmental disability in Washington? Under RCW71A.10.020(3) the definition in law of a developmental disability is: A disability attributable to: Intellectual Disability; Cerebral Palsy; Epilepsy; Autism; or Another neurological or other condition closely related to intellectual disability or that requires treatment similar to that required for individuals with intellectual disabilities. Which: Originated before the individual attained age eighteen; Continued or can be expected to continue indefinitely, and Results in substantial limitations to an individual's intellectual and/or adaptive functioning.

Are there income limits to receive waiver services in Washington? Yes, The individual must apply for long term care services to verify income does not exceed 300% of the SSI federal benefit standard and resources do not exceed $2,000 or be in the Health Care for Workers with Disabilities (HWD) program. In the case of a child, the parents’ income and resources are not considered. For an adult living with a spouse, the spouse’s income and resources are not considered.

How old do you have to be to start receiving waiver services in Washington? You must be 18 or older to receive services under the following waivers: the Basic Plus Waiver, the Community Protection Waiver, and the Core Waiver. The Children's Intensive In-home Behavioral Supports (CIIBS) Waiver children must be age 8 through 17 for initial enrollment and are served through age 20.

Is There a Waiting List For Services?

How long is the waiting list for the waiver in Washington? You can expect to wait about 2 years before receiving waiver services in Washington.

How many people are on the waiver waiting list in Washington? There are currently 829 people with developmental disabilities waiting for waiver services in Washington.

How many people are currently receiving services in Washington? Unknown

What assistance is available while you wait? None.

Is there priority preference for people who are in crisis? Yes.

What Services Are Offered & What Are The Service Limitations?

What services does the Medicaid waiver program offer in Washington? Each waiver has a specific service package. Services vary by program. The Developmental Disabilities Administration (DDA) assists individuals with developmental disabilities and their families to obtain services and supports based on individual preference, capabilities and needs, and which promote everyday activities, routines and relationships common to most citizens.

Does Washington offer community group homes? Yes. Group Homes are community-based residences serving two or more adult clients and are licensed as either an assisted living facility or an adult family home. Group Homes contract with DDA to provide 24-hour instruction and support. The provider owns or leases the facility. Clients must pay participation for room and board to the service provider.

Does Washington offer supported living? Yes. Supported Living services offer instruction and support to persons who live in their own homes in the community. Supports may vary from a few hours per month up to 24 hours per day of one-to-one support. Clients pay for their own rent, food, and other personal expenses. DDA contracts with private agencies to provide Supported Living services.

Are there still state owned institutions in Washington? There are no state institutions to seclude those with developmental disabilities.

How Do You Select A Provider?

Do providers work for the state? No. DDA contracts with private agencies.

About how many providers are there in the state of Washington? There are about 500 Medicaid waiver providers in Washington.

Do you have a choice in providers? Yes, you are encouraged to interview and select your own waiver providers.

How Do You Become A Provider?

If you have questions about becoming a Medicaid waiver provider, email Saif Hakim, Community Residential Services Program Manager, at saif.hakim@dshs.wa.gov .

Additional Information

What is estate recovery? It is a law (RCW 43.20b) that requires your estate to repay DSHS for medical costs and Long Term Care (LTC) Services you received.

WA Providers

Washington Providers


United Friends Group Homes 206-782-8705
Serving Washington
Provides housing in three private homes with private bedrooms for six to eight Residents per home.

Arc of Washington 360-357-5596
Serving Washington
The Arc of Washington State’s mission is to advocate for the rights and full participation of all people with intellectual and developmental disabilities.